So welcome back, for those keeping score at home yes today is the official 1-year anniversary of us becoming New Yorkers. It was on this day a year ago that we received keys to our very own 535 square foot apartment in the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Yesterday we hit on 4 topics out of 8 so today we finish up the series. Below are the 4 subtopics that we shall discuss today. They are;
- Shit we found pretty difficult to do here as compared to living in Memphis
- Famous people we saw
- Recommendations for visitors to NYC that is not on a top 10 “must-do” list
- Stuff we still have yet to do and or see or eat (again skip this one A.T.)
Shit we found pretty difficult to do here as compared to living in Memphis.
- Right out of the gate let’s talk about the cost of goods here. Do I wish that my beer was cheaper down the street as compared to in other boroughs? You damned right but hey in order to play you have to pay.
- Since we got rid of our cars we are now frequent users of Mass Transportation. Sure it may smell on the 6 train but it beats sitting in traffic on street level. Case in point, our trip to see the Asian Fireman in Woodlawn. According to Google Maps it should take 20-30 min via car. We don’t want to pay $50 each trip via a cab or Uber so we take Metro North and walk it.
- Here is one that Nova and KLC Man are going to snicker at me since I used to bust balls about the snow in Canada or in Maine. Recall when I got 30 inches in January? Yep I was glad that I hauled ass back to Memphis on Tuesday because that stuff is a mess to walk around in.
- Here is where I took the most crap from my Memphis friends and fellow Hog Fans. I think I roughly watched 5 hours total of College Football up here this past year. Next year I promise to get on the ball.
- Ever want to go crazy during a shopping spree and then realize you have to schlep that shit home? Welcome to Zabars.
Famous People we saw in NYC this past year
- With my job I get to travel all over the borough of Manhattan so I have a sizable advantage over Mrs. CBT. That and she has a huge Non-Disclosure because she can’t divulge who she saw at her work. But here is a short list of people we saw this year.
- Al Roker & Larry David (on the same day!)
- I saw Piper and Boo from O.I.T.N.B. leaving Soul Cycle in the West Village.
- We both saw a former West Memphian and now New Yorker Damien Echols give a talk about Karma.
- I got to run into a guy who runs a pretty successful joint in Harlem at 125th street by the name of Red Rooster.
- I saw Carmella from the Soprano’s, Drea de Matteo from the Soprano’s, and hopefully I get to meet Uncle June.
- I saw Dave Navarro walking down the street in SoHo.
- Bourdain – Yep, saw him too!
- Then I made a trip to Dumbo to but a book for A.T.
- And lastly I met a Puerto Rican playwright who penned a play about some guy who is on the $10 bill.
Recommendations for visitors to NYC that is not on a top 10 “must-do” list
- But first before I get going on this let me please remind visitors to our new adopted city the rules about visiting NYC
- On Friday’s in the Summer you have to go to the roof of The Met to see the city and drink expensive beer
- Got a hankering for some good street meat and corn dogs? I am sure you can find a great Street Festivals
- So people ask me why we go out on Sunday’s to the Dive Bar’s well we appreciate a good establishment where you can let your hair down. Or in this case eat a hot dog and drink beer at Rudy’s on 9th Avenue
- Find yourself near Union Square? Go see John at Old Town Tavern and tell him we sent you.
- My new favorite bar when near Times Square and KILLER Juke Box can be found on W44th Jimmy’s Corner
- And don’t forget about when we had AK in town for the Carl Lipbalm Scholarship *Disclaimer – I still cringe when I walk by a Forever 21 store!
- Other than that, you are on your own. Or if you want to grab a cheap beer. Shoot me a text.
Stuff we still have yet to do and or see or eat (again skip this one A.T.)
- We celebrate our 20th Anniversary in May so we want to go somewhere cool. I have always had Columbia on my radar.
- We want to see the USS Intrepid on the West Side
- Mrs. CBT wants to see more plays. Anyone want to come help a brother out?
- We have tickets to see Hamilton in March.
- Mrs. CBT is starting school at NYU so she wants to do well there.
- Jimmy Fallon is on our short list.
- See the Rest of the Museums.
- We are going to let our membership at the Met lapse and will join the Central Park Conservancy this year.
- Brooklyn Fare is high on the Foodie list. Same goes for Daniel. Anybody want to join us? I am looking at you A.T.
- We want to continue our relationships with the great friends that we have made up here and keep the ties that we have in Memphis. We really are blessed with some great friends.
So there it is. 1 year living in Manhattan and we have loved each and every day of this. I do plan on putting together a retrospect post but that will have to happen next week. I have had many people from Memphis ask me if we like living up here. My comment is always “You really are comparing an apple to an orange. Memphis will always be our home and our family but New York is our Mind, Body, and our Soul.”
Thank you for reading this worthless dribble for the past year. I appreciate the likes on FB, the comments and the emails. I enjoy the comments so keep them coming!
Carbunkle “Robo” Trumpet