I was reading Time Out on “The Twitter” this weekend and they had a post that I have to share with my 9 readers. If you want to see the original post you can click Here. Don’t worry I won’t take offense if you find their article better than mine. Doesn’t matter…..
Ok, so according to one of the latest US Census and Baruch College there are 8.5 Million people living in New York. If you give each New Yorker 5 square feet of space in their own crowd they would cover 42.5 Million square feet. That is 1.52 Square Miles which is a few blocks larger than Central Park.
Of the 8.5M people 52% are male and 48% are female which destroys the old adage that I always thought that there were more females in the Big Apple. If you broke it down by race it goes like this;
- White – 32%
- Hispanic – 29%
- Black – 22%
- Asian – 14%
- 2 or more races – 2%
- Other (what does this mean exactly) – .8%
- American Indian (that is feather not dot) – .2%
If you broke it down by age and this really is puzzling to me;
- Under 10 – 12%
- 10 to 19 – 11%
- 20 to 29 – 16.5% (effing Millennials)
- 30 to 39 – 15.8%
- 40 to 49 – 13% (hey that is me!)
- 50 to 59 – 12.7% (hey that is Mrs. Trumpet)
- 60 to 69 – 9.8%
- 70 to 79 – 5.3% (guess they now live in Florida)
- over 80 – 3.4% (tons of older people live up here as I have found)
When you walk down the street you can hear all kinds of languages. And I am not talking about a southern accent either.
- English Language – 50.6% (I guess Irish accents count as this)
- Spanish Language – 24.6%
- Other Languages – 19.8%
- Chinese Language – 5% I would think this is more
I think that the pictures are what gives you the best idea of all that high math.
And we aren’t even talking about the rodent problem we have here either! Hope that you aren’t claustrophobic on your next visit to NYC.