What is the old saying, you ride her until she bucks you or you don’t ride her at all. (I am talking about riding a horse you sick fuckers) That is what happened to me on my last leg of my 3rd international trip in the past 60 days. That my friends is a good damn run if I don’t say so myself. Let me explain.
To get to Geranium over in Neuchatel Switzerland it goes down like this;
- Subway from Brooklyn to Penn Station
- New Jersey Transit to Newark International Airport Train Station
- Air Train to Terminal C
- United Flight from EWR to GVA (That is Geneva for you non airport people)
- SBB CFF FFS Train from Geneva to Neuchatel
- Walk down a ridiculously steep hill that you will now worry about on your return trip into town.
- Boom you are there. Total Travel Time – 10 hours give or take
So my return was a little tricky. The flight from GVA to EWR was at an hour that would have made me get up at an ungodly hour on Sunday and the SBB CFF FFS Train was running local so it would have been worse. I found a GVA to Washington Dulles that wasn’t bad and the commuting flight from IAD to EWR was still open. There was another direct flight from GVA to JFK but it was fairly booked so that was my back up plan if I couldn’t get on the Washington DC flight.
So the return trip looked like this;
- Bus up ridiculously steep hill from town to Neuchatel train station
- SBB CFF FFS Train from Neuchatel to Geneva
- United Flight from GVA to IAD
- Clear Customs walk to the gate for IAD to EWR flight.
- Find out that you are in position #20 and there are only 8 available seats. TRANSLATION – YO ASS AIN’T GETTING ON THIS FLIGHT
- Find that there are only 2 remaining flights from IAD to EWR/LGA and they look fairly full.
- Uber from IAD to Union Station to take Amtrak.
- Amtrak from Union Station to Penn Station
- Find out that original flight is now delayed 55 minutes due to weather
- Arrive Penn Station at roughly the same time I would have if I actually got a seat on that booked flight.
- Subway to Nevins Street
- Hug and Kiss Maya! Total Travel Time – 19.5 hours and out train ticket ($200.00) and Uber Pool to Train station ($40.00)
Folks that is a win in my book! I told my former Domestic Work Wife that you have to get creative when traveling. Not only do you have to find additional flights and where hidden cities are you may have to rely on back up cities and train back in. We are talking seeing the Matrix kind of shit here folks.
Long Story Short – be flexible and always have a plan for back up. It was great seeing Geranium even if it was a short trip. I got to see Neuchatel. We went over to Lausanne on Saturday and met up with some of her work peeps who are Ex-Pats here for at least 3 months. Oh and we drank some beer! Thankfully Geranium returns this Thursday!