CBT was lucky enough to score some tickets to Robert Irvine’s “Pigs and Pints” event at The Standard Hotel’s Biergarden. This event is your basic Zoo Rendezvous where 12 local chefs showcase one of their Pig Inspired dishes. Oh yeah there was Wine, Bourbon and Beer too!
I was somewhat luke warm with Robert Irivine being the host because I don’t really know much about him. That and let’s be honest, he ain’t effin Giada! That quickly changed once we got into the venue which is conveniently located below the High Line. As one can imagine 700 folks all heading to the bar and food tables creates a little bottleneck. We were waiting to get Pork Poutine from Robert Irvine’s Public House and there was a woman in front of us who was trying to ask the chefs foodie questions. Robert turned around from taking pictures and yelled at this woman “It is real simple lady, quit looking at it, grab a plate and move on!” Needless to say the woman wasn’t thrilled but “Bless her heart” if you can’t figure out Cheese Curds, BBQ and Tater Tots then maybe you need to rethink life. Oh and Robert’s wife is smoking hot too!
Most interesting versions that we ate;
- Robert Irvine’s Public House’s BBQ Poutine – who doesn’t love cheese and fries?
- Ricardo Barreras’ Pillar Cuban Eatery- Pulled on site whole hog with Potato Salad and Cuban Rice. And naturally the crispy skin too!
- Joe LoNigro’s Otto’s Tacos – The taco was so-so but the green verde sauce on it was a unique taste.
- Brian Ray’s Buddakan – They did a BBQ Dumpling that was the Bomb! It needed some more seasoning but it was good.
- Hugh Mangum’s Mighty Quinn’s Barbeque – he was doing sandwiches that was pretty good
- Leah Cohen’s Piggy Back Bar in Jersey City – they did an Asian flavored rib that was pretty good. Hey @Brizzyc you need to try this joint out if you haven’t tried it yet.
These will be going up on the wall soon!
Robert Irvine entertaining guests. Dude is on the road 150+ days
Yeah, they chop the pork so what! They should have seasoned the pork with a dry rub.
Trust me when I say that this crowd pic was early on in the evening. It was packed
Poutine Station by Robert Irvine’s Public House – we found a quiet place next to them.
Oh I bet the PETA people will not be happy. Or the Kosher folks either!
You want a Taco or you want to take pictures?
It was a fun party!
Hope you had a good weekend!