I had a lot of people who were excited about reading last Friday’s post about where you were first going after this madness is over. So I asked the same folks who reported back a different question.
“You can have dinner at a restaurant or at home. You can invite 2 people to break bread with. Either of these people can be living or dead but the caveat is that one person has to be a New Yorker. So who are you dining with and where you going to eat?”
I will start – I am dining at Balthazar ordering the Seafood Tower to start with. For my New York Guest I am sitting with the late Anthony Bourdain because I have always wanted to pick his brain on the way things are now (prior to COVID-19) and thank him for hating on Vegetarians. The other person is the late Chef Paul Bocuse of Lyon France. Bourdain idolized him and I want to learn about how things were for him. You see I got my start in the restaurant business working at Chez Philippe in the Peabody and talk about a tough environment.
- Shawneen from Middle Village – JOHN LENNON – a New Yorker by choice. He fought tooth and nail to stay in New York; he said that at one point in history Paris was the place to be, but in the 1970’s, New York was the place to be and he wanted to be here. His political views were profoundly before his time and considered dangerous to the point that the FBI had a file on him. Imagine all the people, sharing all the world? This might still be a dangerous idea today, sadly. When I saw the movie “Yesterday”, I laughed and sang along and just enjoyed the what if – until the scene where the main character is sent to visit the seaside cottage of a seafaring man with round spectacles. I cried my eyes out. If The Beatles had not been famous, John Lennon would not have died. I want a bottle of red, fried calamari, eggplant parmesan (cause that’s how we do it in the boroughs) and conversation with John Lennon all night long. For the second person And since this is my fantasy – my second guest would be DONALD TRUMP (but not for the whole night -just for an hour). Because I don’t think Trump could sit across from John effin Lennon and not still believe that all the people could be sharing all the world. PERSONALLY I THINK I SHOULD JUST STOP NOW BECAUSE SHE WON TODAY FUCKING BRILLIANT!
- LJZ – Having dinner at Oceana with her husband and Dr. Fauci
- Don Bruni – having dinner with Sammy Davis Jr and Jackie Gleason
- AV The Russian – Her Father (New Yorker) and Jesus Christ and they are breaking bread at Corner Bistro.
- AB The LSU Fan – Sitting at a table with his back against the wall at Umberto’s Clam House with John Gotti and Carlo Gambino.
- AB The LSU Fan 2 – Old Homestead with Chris Mullin and Felipe Lopez!
- Lady Barrister – Is going to PJ Clarke’s having dinner with George Carlin and Jerry Seinfeld because we need to laugh.
- BikinisareForever – She wants to have dinner with her Grandparents
- BikinisareForever 2 – Jerry Seinfeld and Amy Schumer
- Flynn Shady – Going to Rao’s or Old Homestead and having dinner with Jimmy Fallon and Conan O’Brien.
- Mr. 3 First Names – going to Keen’s steakhouse and having dinner with Admiral Raymond Spruance who commanded the US Naval Forces involved in the battle of Midway. Also is Washington Roebling who built the Brooklyn Bridge.
- PC The Memphis Fan – John Lennon and George Harrison and they are goingto Thai Villa on 19th to geek out on the music and hear them talk shit about Paul.
- PC the Memphis Fan 2 – Teddy Roosevelt and Zahi Hawass at Keen’s Steakhouse.
- Vivian Longstreet – Going to Raoul’s and having dinner with Gov Andrew Cuomo and her NOLA buddy Lisa who is going to run his presidential campaign.
- Ty Middelton – His late mother who was an amazing woman and always shot from the hip and Ron Howard to close a multi-million dollar film deal for his book series.
- Stone – Also at Raou’s with Draper Kaufman (Father of Navy Special Warfare and Teddy Roosevelt. THAT IS SO INTERSTING PEOPLE ARE PICKING TEDDY ROOSEVELT
- BjorkSue – is going to a Cheesecake Factory with Ivanka Trump and Jessica Simpson.
- Bar Wife – Bill Murray and Chevy Chase and they are going to a bar.
- UWS Holly – Andy Cohen (Godfather of Bravo Trash TV) and Anderson Cooper.
- JP on the Island of Long – Billy Joel and Elton John
- JD (Not the Bottle but the legend) – Alex Hamilton and Dave-1 from Chromeo and they are going to eat Dim Sum.
- BK is requesting dinner at Lugar with us.
- Stuey who is in OK – Yoshaiaki Omura, MD his bidigital O ring test would be a topic that I would enjoy. Second person is his mother who passed away 12 years ago. Or he would sub out Nikki Glaser who is easy on the eyes.
- RMT (Reader Number 5) also having dinner with Anthony Bourdain and her husband.
- M(squared) the Domestic One – She is bringing her parents and having dinner with them and she is eating in.
- Mary Louise Geranium – Ina and Jeffrey Garten at Rao’s
- Z(squared) is taking his brother to dinner to celebrate his acceptance into Columbia’s EMBA Program.
- Steve from Flushing – Having Dinner with Derek Jeter and Pedro Martinez (of Boston) and they are drinking at Yankee Tavern.
- The Bartender – Kramer and Neuman at Soup Nazi’s joint.
- Mr. Clean – Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel – Tavern on the Green. THAT IS A GOOD ONE!
- Constantine – Sarah Jessica Parker and Mathew Broderick at Minetta Tavern for burgers.
- San Pedro Scoop – AOC and MLK – I am feeling hopeful for change and I want to get those two together.
Thanks to all that played along. San Pedro Belize – I may be coming to you for next Friday so stay tuned!